Empty quarter and the lost city of Ubar
( Rub Al Khali desert )
Start from Salalah, one of the biggest cities in the Sultanate of Oman, located on the pacific ocean and considered the capital city of southern Dhofar province.
Empty Quarter desert, known as rub’al Al Khali, is the largest desert in the Arabian Peninsula, covering vast parts of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, and Yammen.
Sit back and relax in your vehicle to start the highway for crossing to the vast empty quarter desert; your guide will begin to drive among Nejd Area and Qara mountains at Dhofar, surrounded by its magical dunes.
On your way, A brief stop will be in a Bedouin village named Thumrait and continue to the Amazing Empty Quarter desert, also known as Al Rub Al Khali. Explore empty quarter’s unique sand dunes that rise to 250 meters in height and more, and enjoy the art of dune bushing. Also, there is an opportunity for a few hiking; you may be lucky to see the camel in the middle of the desert. Discover the desert life in that unique portion of the earth.
Also, during our trip to the empty quarter desert, we will visit the ruins of the lost city of Ubar; according to the myths, the desert swallowed up the city of Ubar without any trace, so that is why it is known as Atlantis of the sands.
This unexplored city was spotted by satellites; after a lot of effort, In 1982 explorers team led by the explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes discovered this city.
No Salalah tours can be done without a visit to Frankincense trees, which will be on our way back to your hotel.
That is one of the highly recommended tours among Desert tours. We recommend it highly among Salalah Tours and Oman Day Tours as a whole, and you will take unforgettable photos to share with your family and friends when you travel back home.
Empty Quarter tour from Salalah
Price Per vehicle: 325 USD (Up to five persons)
What is Included in the Empty Quarter tour?
* Pick up and drop off.
* Private Luxury land cruiser.
* Experience English tour guide.
What is excluded from the Empty Quarter tour?
* Meals and drinks during the trip.
* Entry Visa to Oman
What to know before you book an Empty Quarter tour?
*Empty quarter translation in Arabic means Al Rub’ al Khali
* Salalah is located South of the empty quarter desert, the distance to the empty quarter in google maps is about 200 KM (125 miles ), takes about 3 hours of driving.
* Weather is fine most of the year, But it is recommended in Oman tours to bring body Sunblock, water, and hats.
* Photography is allowed during the tour, but according to traditions, it is not allowed for a photographer to take a photo of women, and it is polite to ask men before.
* Omani Entry visa is sufficient for this trip, as the Empty Quarter or rub Al Khali desert found in four countries in Arabian Peninsula: Oman, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen, occupies 65 000 KM Square. On our tour, we will discover the Omani region of the desert without any border cross.
* Rain days are rare in rub’al Khali, but sometimes for climate and safety conditions, the company has the right to cancel the trip to Al Rub Al Khali or an empty quarter.
*Notes: rub’al Khali, the empty quarter-day tour recommended for sea cruise passengers. Coming to Salalah by cruise ship and searching for Salalah Oman Shore excursions.