Nizwa Oman, which recently won the title among the best international tourist destinations in 2015 AD, is located in the Al Dakhiliyah Governorate, and it is one of the largest Omani cities. kilometers, and it is one of the oldest densely populated areas in the governorate, as it represented the old capital of Oman.
Best things to do in Nizwa Oman
Nizwa Oman is characterized by lushness and greenery, where the wonderful and unique blend between the natural environment, modernity, and development, and this huge oasis of palm trees extends for a distance of eight kilometers along the course of two valleys, which gives the region a beauty that makes Nizwa Oman one of the richest areas in tourism potentials in the Sultanate.
1- Falaj Daris
- It is one of the tourist attractions that must be visited in Nizwa Oman, as it is considered one of the largest falajes in the Sultanate and provides the surrounding areas with natural water, and also provides a vital water supply for irrigation of palm trees.
- The Sultan Qaboos Mosque in Nizwa is one of the oldest mosques in the Sultanate, and a vivid example of Omani civilization and Islamic architecture in the city.
2- Tanuf Ruins
- In Wadi Tanuf, the magnificent waterfalls, and ever-flowing streams form a wonderful sight that takes minds in Nizwa Oman.
- It is an amazing place that makes you very happy if you get the chance to visit or spend the day there.
- To get to Tanuf, you can take a road between Bahla and Nizwa, where there is a beautiful village and an aflaj system.
- Other tourist places between Nizwa Oman and Bahla are the villages of Al-Hamra and Misfat Al-Abriyin on the mountainside.
- In Al-Hamra, we find 400-year-old mud houses that are still standing and inhabited by people to this day.
- A visit to the old Al Hamra market is a must-do.
- In the nearby valley, you can also see archeological features engraved on the rocks, believed to be more than 3000 years old. For amateurs exploring caves, there is Al Hoota Cave, which provides unparalleled exploration excitement, but it is closed for maintenance due to its impact on the weather, rain, and the flow of water from the valleys.
3- Misfat al-Abriyeen
- Misfat al-Abriyeen is located inside a deep rift on the side of the mountain. It is an agricultural area inhabited by several farmers and herders.
- It is difficult to see the village from the front of the cliff from which it is carved, as it is covered with lemon trees and has some streets and narrow roads that lead to houses of different levels such as caves carved into the rocks with spiral staircases leading to the top of the houses.
4- Al Jabal Al Akhdar
- Al Jabal Al Akhdar is one of two mountains bearing the same name in the Arab world, the first of which is located in the Sultanate of Oman, and the other is located in Libya.
- The Green Mountain is located in Nizwa Oman, and is considered part of the Hajar mountain range, and its height is approximately three thousand meters. Many agricultural products grow and abound on the Omani Green Mountain, including fruits such as pomegranate, which is one of the finest types of pomegranates in the world, peaches, and apricots. , and grapes, and figs, and there grow walnuts, almonds, saffron, flowers, and roses.
- There are some animals in Al Jabal Al Akhdar, including leopards, deer, wolves, and mountain ibex, and the ruggedness of the mountain made it difficult to reach them.
- The people of the mountain in Nizwa Oman are famous for their industries, including the rose water industry, and the textile industry and the people of the mountain also practice livestock breeding and care.
- The mountain is about 24 km from Nizwa, and it is about 170 km away from the capital, Muscat. It is located in the village of Birkat Al-Muz, adjacent to the Bait Al Rudaydah Fort.
5- Nizwa souq
- The Nizwa Oman souq is a lively market and an important economic place for the Nizwa region, in addition to being one of the most important and oldest markets in Oman.
- The most important day to visit the Nizwa Oman market is Friday, and the locals go to the market very early to be among the first to put their hands on the best exhibits and merchandise, to the extent that the market comes alive on this day since seven in the morning.
6- Nizwa Fort
- Nizwa Oman Fort is one of the Sultanate’s finest historical and touristic edifices in Nizwa. It is a unique large circular tower. This edifice was built in 1668 AD.
- Nizwa Oman Castle reflects the ingenuity of military engineering as a fort and a fort is enormous and strong. The castle attracts visitors and provides enormous natural wealth.
- Nizwa Oman Fort is famous for its huge circular shape. It was built by Imam Sultan bin Saif bin Malik Al-Ya’rubi. The castle is connected to a fort with complex labyrinthine passages. Near the castle building and the fort, there is the traditional Nizwa market, which is famous for its thriving handicraft industries.
- It is considered among the oldest castles in Nizwa Oman, as it is unique in its huge circular shape buried in dirt, its height is 24 meters, its outer diameter is 43 meters, and its inner diameter is 39 meters. It has seven wells and multiple openings for stationing the fighters defending the castle and the city during ancient times, and inside it are various prison sites, where they were A seat for judgment and execution of penalties against perpetrators of violations and crimes of all kinds.
Nizwa Oman is very rich in historical sights due to the abundance of what it possesses. It can be said that the city, with its ancient neighborhoods, represents a museum that speaks of its ancient authenticity and the depth of its roots in the Omani heritage.