Jebel Shams, Sultanate of Oman, is one of the most important natural features of the Sultanate of Oman, and one of its main features, is characterized by being the owner of the highest peak in Oman and one of the ten highest mountains in the Arab countries, where the height of Jebel Shams in the Sultanate of Oman is about 3009 meters above sea level and is considered one of the most beautiful places of tourism In Nizwa and the most wonderful of all, as the reason for naming Jabal Al Shams in the Sultanate of Oman is because it is the first point at which the sun rises in Oman and the last point at which it sets, and the mountain enjoys great tourist importance due to the influx of millions of visitors annually.
Jebel Shams site
- Jebel Shams, or as it is called the Grand Canyon, is located in the Al Dakhiliyah region of the Sultanate of Oman, in a group of the western Al Hajar Mountains, which also includes Jabal Al Akhdar.
- Jebel Shams is the highest mountain in the Sultanate, with a height of 3,009 meters. It is one of the most recommended natural destinations to visit.
- In addition to its mild climate, the mountain witnesses the organization of many events and activities, and the visitor can enjoy the view of Wadi Al-Nakhr while he is on the mountain. Jebel Shams was named by this name as it is the first spot in the land of Oman on which the sun rises due to its high peak.
How is Jebel Shams formed?
It is said that the geological age of Jebel Shams reaches 25 million years, and the story of its formation was associated with the emergence of the Tethys Sea, which resulted from the divergence of Oman and Iraq. Rather, marine volcanoes also played an important role, and by doing so part of the limestone melted, and after the sea dried up, its sediments rose to the top, forming, with time, Jebel Shams.
Tourist activities in Jebel Shams
People who go to Jebel Shams can do many activities and sports, and go on fun and varied adventures, the most important of which are the following:
1- Take a walk
It is possible to hike in the Jebel Shams area through trails, recreational tours, climbing, and other activities in more than one area of the mountain, including:
- Al-Khitaim Village: The path starts from the village of Al-Khitaim across the edge of Wadi Al-Nakhr, and along the way, there are beautiful landscapes, starting from the valley and the towns below to the deserted village of Sab Bani Khamis, full of traces of gardens and dwellings.
- The walkway balcony road: It is possible to climb the mountain through this road to reach the permitted summit, which is at an altitude of 2,997 meters, where at the highest height of the summit there is a military site that is forbidden to be accessed, after which it is possible to continue walking through the path leading to the valley.
- Jebel Shams attracts many camping enthusiasts, who enjoy the amazing skylights at night and go through the experience of watching the first sunrise in Oman. The edge of the canyon is suitable for practicing this activity.
- The picturesque nature of Jebel Shams stimulates the lenses of photographers and camera enthusiasts to enjoy taking the most beautiful pictures, especially at night, when the sky is adorned with stars, with the importance of taking into account the conditions and conditions of professional photography, in addition to choosing the appropriate location and time to take a distinctive picture.
4- Views on the way to the mountain
- A visit to Jebel Shams does not only provide an opportunity to enjoy nature, as even the sites that visitors encounter on their way to the mountain also arouse curiosity and knowledge and delight the viewer, as the historical city of Nizwa, which is the cultural capital of the Sultanate, can be seen, and in it, the ancient city, its ancient castle and its traditional market are recognized.
- It is also possible to pass through one of the villages that still preserves the original heritage of Oman, which is the village of Hamra, and it contains ancient Omani mud houses, and the independent visitor in his private vehicle has the opportunity to enjoy the stunning views of Wadi Nakhr near Jebel Shams.
Natural resources in Jebel Shams
- Jebel Shams is considered to have natural resources. For example, the great rocky fault was formed at the outskirts of the path of the road through which the ascent to the top of the mountain is made, and it is the second largest rocky fault in the whole world.
- On this mountain there is wild plant life growing in some parts of the fault; Such as the bot tree, juniper trees, or al-Alayan, which are among the oldest of their kind in the world, and some of them reach two meters or more in width. There are also wild olive trees in the mountain, and one type of date palm tree.
- The Christ’s thorn plant and Sidr are among the plants spread in the region, and the locals eat its fruit, which is called buckthorn. It is mentioned that Jebel Shams includes twelve villages, in which Omanis practice animal husbandry, carpet making, and agriculture.
- It became possible to grow many other crops and plants, such as apple trees, peaches, and pomegranates, and this plant wealth is considered a source of income and livelihood for the population, in addition to many arts and crafts of ancient nature.
Hotels near Jebel Shams, Sultanate of Oman
1- Alila Jabal Al Akhdar Hotel
The 5-star Alila Jabal Al Akhdar Hotel is known as one of the most luxurious modern hotels in Nizwa, which is characterized by its list of typical hotel services that include all of the following:
- All kinds of entertaining sports, darts, table tennis, cycling, and entertaining cooking classes.
- Secure parking, fast Wi-Fi, all full massage options, indoor swimming pool open all year.
2- Golden Tulip Nizwa Hotel
The Golden Tulip Hotel in Nizwa is one of the most luxurious 4-star hotels in Nizwa. It is one of the most visited accommodations by all visitors because it contains all of the following:
- Live sporting events that include darts, table tennis, an upgraded fitness club, and an entertaining billiards club.
- Express Housekeeping, Full Massages, Modern Car Parking, and Newly Developed VIP Facilities.
- The hotel is located 9.0 km from Nizwa Market, and the distance from Nizwa Fort to the hotel is 9.5 km from the hotel’s location. Muscat International Airport is 85.5 km away from the hotel.